Saturday, August 20, 2016

Let Them Eat Cake

I was a little bit of an outsider in the cake department as a child.

I was one of the few tiny humans I know that was completely revolted by frosting. I still am, for the most part.

At birthday parties, the frosting was the overly sweet, gritty, garishly colored upcycled Crisco, and I really just couldn't. I wasn't big on sweets even as a kid, but I always thought that that type of frosting wasn't even actually food. I still don't think it is.

My favorite cake much more closely resembles unfrosted white wedding cake or just a good plain pound cake. Or just skip all that and give me a potato chip.

In an ironic twist, I actually got a blue ribbon for a cake I made at a 4H contest. And it wasn't sweet at all. It had a thin layer of dark chocolate as the "frosting" and between the layers, and it was a really pretty Neapolitan cake.

But the combination of not really liking sugar that much and living in a boiling hot climate have conspired to eliminate baking from my life, with the notable exception of my annual Free Range Fruitcake festival.

But what I really love is to LOOK at cake. Especially on Pinterest. And especially tiered cakes.

Maybe it's the architecture of a tiered cake that I love. I love that they look like little buildings, with room on each floor for three-dimensional decorations. I'm pretty sure I'd never eat fondant, but it's spectacularly beautiful. I also don't think I'd eat marzipan, but the little fruits made out of it and dusted with color are a feast for the eyes. And look - here's a marziPANDA.

It's all very Alice In Wonderland to me, the world of cake.

So I'll take you down a cake rabbit hole with me today with my post for the Splitcoast Inspiration challenge. I'm filling in for the completely amazing Audrie today. I always get nervous subbing for Audrie, because she is so, so good at what she does.

But I found this gorgeous Etsy shop for my inspiration. Book worshipers - avert your eyes. Some books are about to be sacrificed on the altar of art up in here!

This shop has everything I love - old books, illustrations, children's stories. So fantastic.

So that is our inspiration site for today.

For my card, I chose the singularly beautiful Happy Day stamp and die bundle from Concord & 9th for a very good reason - my inlaws' 50th anniversary party is today! So this is the card I made for them. Vintage Watercolor for some vintage celebrating :)

Vintage Watercolor Cake by Understand Blue




Isn't that a fun, low calorie cake?

It was super easy to make too. I made a little video for you of the process.


And while you're watching that - I'm off to eat cake! :)

Loveyameanitbye.


14 comments:

  1. So very beautiful! I came over from SCS to see this. I knew right off you used my new favorite technique! The cake looks soooo elegant! I love the different colors of the Elegant Writer, it's always a fun surprise to see what happens with the added water! Happy 50th to your in-laws! I hope to play along later but hubs is home today so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card - Love the inspiration site. I have a two giraffes with book page backgrounds similar to those on the site and love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!!!!! I have that brush thing in my SSS cart waiting for me to pull the trigger.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOR-GE-OUS!!! elegant too! i'm sure your in-laws will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate frosting too! My sister loves me, so for my birthday each year she makes a lemon sheet cake. The she pierces it all over with an ice pick and poor over a glaze made of freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with some confectioners sugar. Lovely and super tart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Lydia! So vintage and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply stunning, Lydia. I bet your inlaws absolutely loved receiving this. Thanks for making a video, it's always nice to have a little burst of Lydia in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not alone Lydia - most Germans cringe when looking at the colourful frostings in the US. I would not exactly consider them food either. And I could not get the basic ingredients for our German frosting anywhere when I lived in CAL... Funny thing is that the "color cakes" are taking over Germany now. ;-) I have always enjoyed the artwork behind them (as long as nobody tells me to eat it) just like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hated frosting as a child so I never ate birthday cake! Still I scrape most frosting so off if we have cake especially those decorated ones with 2 inches of frosting. Thanks for the awesome technique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped having cakes with frosting for my daughter's birthdays since I noticed that many kids simply scrap off the frosting. Instead my husband (he is the baker in the family!) bakes two large chocolate cakes and the kids love them! I loved the card and thanks for the video. It is a great technique I would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Lydia! This is a gorgeous and magical process for this stunning image! Perfect video, too ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with this pretty cake stamp! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...